Thursday, April 15, 2010

TPGP

Teacher Professional Growth Plan


My second year of the education program has really opened my eyes to what aspects of my profession can be improved upon as I begin my teaching career. Many of these topics I have begun to work on, either during student-teaching or in the university classroom.


Assessment


It was a great learning experience to design rubrics during the great task and the student inquiry project in my final semester. I would like to take these skills further in my planning for assessment.


Goal: Continue to focus on planning ahead for assessment


Objectives to track progress:

  • start unit planning by defining what I want my students to know at the end
  • build assessment rubrics while designing student projects
  • ensure that assessment is for learning as well as of learning


Goal: Continue to focus on rubric use for assessment


Objectives to track progress:

  • search for good rubrics using tools such as IO
  • develop rubrics myself and with my classes
  • focus on clear, well articulated criteria for rubrics
  • incorporate self and peer assessment of student work using rubrics


Goal: Design an effective record-keeping program to track student progress


Objectives to track progress:

  • develop a spreadsheet with spaces for both grades and notes on student progress
  • begin making daily notes on student progress
  • refer to notes when discussing student progress with students and parents


Collaboration:


The importance of collaborating with classmates has been a recurring theme during my degree. I would like to continue collaborating with colleagues to better my practice.


Goal: Collaborate with other staff members to improve my teaching practice.


Objectives to track progress:

  • renew subscription to ATA science council to keep up with current educational ideas in science
  • show my unit/lesson plans to colleagues and ask for feedback
  • ask to observe colleagues’ classes
  • take questions I have about my practice to curriculum leaders and administration



Inquiry:


The potential educational benefits of inquiry-based learning have been emphasized during my program. With newfound confidence in developing inquiry projects based on designing projects in my final semester in Intelligence Online (IO), I hope to take this type of learning into my future classroom.


Goal: Develop inquiry-based science projects


Objectives to track progress:

  • plan at least one inquiry-based task for students each course/semester
  • continue working in IO to design authentic tasks
  • meet with other teachers to discuss the possibility of cross-curricular projects


Classroom Structure/Atmosphere


Even within inquiry-based learning it is important to have structure and routine in the classroom setting to help student focus on their work.


Goal: Develop effective classroom routines that promote a comfortable learning environment


Objectives to track progress:

  • develop a daily structure in my classroom so that students know what they are supposed to do when they enter each day
  • get to know students as learners and individuals
  • promote routines that help students collaborate effectively


No comments:

Post a Comment